Thursday, May 7, 2009

Miss A's Birthday


I can't wax nostalgic about the day that Audrey was born like so many other mothers do on their children's birthday.

I can't, because I wasn't there.

I don't know what I was doing on May 7, 2007. Probably everyday mundane tasks like making phone calls or grocery shopping. I'd like to say that at 7:20 pm I paused in whatever I was doing- that as Audrey was taking her first breath and seeing the world for the first time that I had some sort of premonition that my daughter had just been born.

But I didn't.

On May 7, 2007 I had no idea that my life would soon change forever because a beautiful baby girl had just been born in a hospital in another state. I had no idea that my dream of being a mother would soon be a reality.

It kills me a little bit each time I think that I missed out on such a hugely important day in my daughter's life. That I wasn't there to hold her or kiss her, to gaze into her eyes in her first few moments. But these thoughts are always quickly followed by an overwhelming gratitude to the woman who did give her birth. The brave woman who gave Audrey life, and then selflessly gave me the opportunity to be a Mother. Thank you Megan. Thank you so much.


I wasn't there that day, but I am here now, to celebrate the second anniversary of the day that this special little girl was born and blessed not one, but two families. Everytime she looks at me with those big eyes and smiles or calls me Mama I have to pinch myself to make sure that she's really here, that she's really mine. She's the greatest miracle in my life and I love her so much.


Happy Birthday Audrey

love, Mom

13 comments:

ASRussell said...

that was so touching...what an amazing mother you are...full of love. Audrey is so lucky to have you and Justin as parents.
Happy Birthday Audrey!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was beautiful. I was there and it was a wonderful day! She was such a cute little butterball. I'm very thankful to you for being such wonderful parents. I read this after your email. I look forward to your pictures every day. she is in my thoughts always. Have a wonderful day, best wishes and all my love,
debbie

SL&G said...

Happy Birthday Audrey! We're so glad your in OUR family! Becky you are a wonderful mother! I can't wait to see pictures from the birthday shin-dig!

Daniel and Dawn said...

Happy birthday Audrey!! Becky I teared up. That was wonderfully put!! Your a great mom!

Rhonda said...

Great post, Becky! Hope Audrey had tons of fun on her special day!!!

MaudieV said...

Happy B-Day Audrey. We love you. And a big thank-you to Debbie, too. We appreciate her sacrifice. Looking forward to seeing you all on Sataurday!!

riosfamilyinc said...

You are such an amazing person. Thanks for sharing. I hope the party was amazing.

Angie said...

You are such a great writer! I'm so glad you have sweet little Audrey in your life. She's a beautiful girl!
Sorry I wasn't able to come last night but Adam and James had a blast. Sorry James ate all the candy.

Ariane said...

Beautiful! Beautiful girl! Beautiful post! Beautiful mother! Wish we could be there to celebrate with you. Maybe next year.

donnaR said...

Is it possible...that maybe, just maybe, ...I dare suggest this, that you value being a mother more because of it.

The VIPs said...

definately possible Aunt Donna

donnaR said...

From and email I received on Mother's Day:
Teacher Debbie Moon's first graders were discussing a picture of a family where one little boy in the picture had a different hair color than the other members. One of her students suggested that he was adopted.
A little girl said, "I know all about adoption, I was adopted."
"What does it mean to be adopted?" asked another child.
"It means", said the girl, "that you grew in your mommy's heart instead of her tummy!"

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.