We really wanted to see a southern plantation but General Sherman screwed up our plans when he marched through the south and burned all of them in Atlanta. So on our last full day there we rented a car and drove about an hour north to the little town of Roswell.
On our way we found the temple:
And the beautiful Swan House. We didn't have enough time to go inside though. Next time.
Then we made it to the Smith Plantation.
In one of the outbuildings where the house slaves prepared meals for the family.
Roswell was the cutest little town and on our way back through as we were deciding where to eat dinner it started POURING rain. We'd never seen anything like it. Well, Justin had since he served his mission in Tennessee. But we picked a little Barbeque restaurant and dashed inside. When we got in there the man helping us said they'd been voted #2 barbeque in the state and it was DELICIOUS. I mentally checked "try real Southern barbeque" off the list in my head.
We drove the hour back to Atlanta and stopped for some cupcakes:
I have to mention that Southern hospitality is no joke. Everyone was SO nice! So friendly! And Judy got the most of it. People stopped us in the street to see our "beautiful baby" they talked to her, waved at her, our hotel concierge pinched her thighs! At a grocery store our clerk said, "I'm glad you came through my line because I saw you shopping and I have one question for you." He paused dramatically then said, " Can I have that baby?"
It was a long flight home but Audrey and David have become quite the little travelers- they go through airport security no sweat and keep themselves busy on the flight.
We had such a good time and I'm so thankful to be able to have these experiences with my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment