Thursday, October 19, 2017

Atlanta part 2

Look at this sweet baby in a tiny swimming suit!

Audrey in the hotel lobby


We took the kids to the Fernbank Natural History Museum.


They had lots of cool exhibits but by far the coolest was this giant dinosaur skeleton.







Justin studies race relations and civil rights so the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial was a must see for us. 


Ebenezer Church where he preached:



Inside there was no interpretation, but they were playing a recording of one of MLK's sermons. The pulpit is noticeably empty. It was so powerful to sit there and listen to his voice, you could almost imagine him standing at the pulpit.



We walked up the street to where he and his wife are buried:





Then went through the museum and learned more about his life and work. 

The carriage that carried his body at his funeral:


2 weeks before Dr. King was murdered he gave a sermon there in his church where he gave his own eulogy. They played that recorded speech at his funeral. We watched a video of his wife crying while he voice echoed, (I'm paraphrasing) "Do not tell them of the awards I've received, of where I went to college..." "Instead tell them that Martin Luther King Jr helped the poor, tell them that he tried to help the weary and afflicted..." 

Wow.

A powerful powerful story. If that's not divine inspiration I don't know what is.


Aside from all the things that he did to further equality, I was struck but his sermons. I left the memorial site genuinely wanting to be a better person. He was a really good Christian and an excellent example for us all.

We came back the next day to tour his childhood home:


I love knowing that when Audrey and David study civil rights or Dr. King in school that they'll be able to remember this visit. It makes it so real.





No comments: