Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I've been tripping over a rather large air mattress in the middle of our living room for two days now. We had Justin's cousin and his family stay with us Saturday night so it used to be set up in the guest room.

But then Sunday evening came, with it's usual bored, restless, stuck-in-the-house-too-long feeling. I was sitting on the couch contemplating how I was going to waddle up the stairs to get Audrey's pajamas when I heard Justin dragging the mattress, complete with bedding, down the hall and out into the living room. Audrey was beyond delighted (it's stunts like this that make him her favorite) and we opened the windows to the cool air, turned down the lights and watched an impromptu screening of 'Cars' that pushed bedtime back WAY later than planned. When I finally put my foot down and enforced pajamas and teeth-brushing and prayer-saying there were pleas from both daughter and husband to leave the bed there for just one more day.

And so, I relented. Because these days with my big belly and backaches it is easier to relent than to actually move it and clean it up. And I relented because I may not be quite as strict and unbending as I pretend to be. And maybe...because it was fun to put Audrey to bed early last night and snuggle in under the blankets with my husband and watch a movie.



But....today it is coming down. Because we're not completely uncivilized.

3 comments:

Vip said...

I think that we need a bed in the living room. It will be the focal point and also a conversation piece. It was a blast to just hang out on the last couple of days, and last night was awesome.

caitlin said...

Ha! Too fun. It's like having a comfy fort in your living room.

I remember when I was little my parents would occasionally make me "nests" where they would get like every pillow and blanket, and soft thing to make me my own little spot. This reminds me of that. I bet Audrey loved it! (And Justin ;)

The Henriksons said...

At school we use to put a tent up in the living room and sleep in it! It was way fun. We had to walk on the furniture to get to the kitchen. These are memories Audrey will always have. You are a good mom and wife! Millie