Wednesday, June 10, 2009

leftovers


14th Ward Mother Daughter Party


These are the only shots I was able to snap at our mother/daughter activity.
Turns out when you're the hostess there's not much time for taking pictures.
But the party turned out great, Lori (my partner) and I received lots of compliments on the food and decorations.

the girls got to take home those cute butterfly chinese lanterns that they'd made at a previous activity

and I ended up taking home lots of pretty flowers


and lots and lots of lemons and limes


Last night Justin grabbed three lemons and started juggling them,
(yes, he can juggle- he attributes it to lots of time sitting the bench at baseball games when he was younger)
and informed me that I'd better hurry up and use them because they were feeling very ripe.
And that is how we discovered the best homemade lemonade ever.
(yes, of course I'll share the recipe with you)


Vintage Lemonade

5 lemons

1 1/4 C sugar

1 1/4 quarts water (5 C)

1. Peel the rinds from 5 lemons and slice them into 1/2 inch slices. Set the lemons aside.

2. Place the rinds in a bowl and sprinkle the sugar over them. Let this stand for about one hour, so that the sugar begins to soak up the oil from the lemons. Do not stir.

3. Bring water to a boil in a covered saucepan and then pour the water over the sugared lemon rinds. Allow this mixture to cool for about 20 minutes and then carefully remove the lemon rinds.

4. Squeeze the lemons into another bowl. Pour the juice through a strainer into the sugar mixture. Stir well, pour into a pitcher and pop it in the fridge. Serve over ice. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks awesome Becky! I knew it would turnout just amazing with all that effort you were putting in. I'm sure the girls and moms will remember this one for years to come. That lemonade looks awesome!

Walt and Eileen said...

It's good you got a few photos to remember a great Mother-Daughter activity. Fun ideas for us to use sometime. And the strawberry makes the lemonade look even more scumptious.
Love, Uncle Walt & Aunt Eileen - Arentina

SL&G said...

Yummy! That lemonade looks good!The party looked great! WAY to GO! Where did you have it?

The VIPs said...

our church has a big grassy area behind it with a big pavilion, we used that. It was really convenient.

caitlin said...

Mm, I am going to have to try that recipe. It looks like it all turned out to be a success. And I constantly have that problem of not being able to take pictures and hostess. And I don't like giving the job to anyone else, because I am particular about my pictures. Hmm perhaps I need to clone myself? ;)