Friday, May 1, 2009


Our plans for the weekend have changed for two reasons.

1. Channel 7 weather predicts cloudy weather with a high chance of rain for the next few days.
2. Audrey's not feeling good.

I'm so thankful that my Mom decided to go to college and become a nurse. Having a baby is scary- they get sick, hurt, have problems. It's so nice to be able to call my Mom and have the benefit of her medical knowledge and years of experience when I have questions about the sound of a cough or the contents of Audrey's diaper. And believe me, the contents of her diaper have given me cause to question the past two days. In these moments, the fact that I am not a nurse myself makes me feel like I've failed a little bit as a mother. How is my political science degree going to help Audrey when she's a new mother and is worried about her baby? Unless she's worried about how my grand-child is going to vote, I won't be any help at all.

So as per my Mom's instructions, Audrey is on a no dairy, bland diet of pedialyte, rice cereal, bananas and toast. And as per Audrey's wishes she is in my arms or on my lap at all times (I don't mind). She snuggles into the crook of my arm in a blanket with her apple juice and we watch Madagascar or Max and Ruby- which ever makes her tummy feel better at the time.

Anyway, somewhere in between snuggling my baby, giving her a bath every few hours and changing the sheets in her crib a million times it was decided that tomorrow won't be spent camping in the backyard and running all over Boise for birthday supplies like we'd planned. This weekend is looking more like a rent a movie, make some good food, watch it rain, and stay indoors kind of weekend (I certainly don't mind). We'll still have a good time. Justin's had a busy, busy week and I'm sure he'll be glad to have a few slow days to rest. I'll catch up on some housework that's been neglected due to a sick daughter. And, I think I'll make caramel corn. Because the other day Justin said, "You know what you haven't made in a long time? Caramel corn." I think that was his way of giving me a big hint. But you know what?

I don't mind.

1 comment:

Rachael Havens said...

Man I hate it when they are sick. At least it's not sunny outside, then you would be wishing for camping. What I'm trying to say is I guess a good weekend to be sick with all this rain. Wow that was hard, on another note...yum caramel corn!