Sunday, March 8, 2009

taste the rainbow

this is the story of a birthday. But mostly, it is the story of a birthday cake.


after Justin woke up yesterday morning to find the dining room decorated for his birthday...
(compliments of his sleepy wife blowing up balloons and taping streamers to the ceiling at 4 am in the dark)
and after he appreciated the artistic wonder of the birthday banner that Audrey and I had made for him...
we began making THE CAKE.
Now, for the past few years I have been working very hard at developing my culinary skills. Last year I made beautiful birthday cakes such as this cake and this one. They were lovely.
so when Justin decided that he wanted a rainbow tie-dyed cake for his birthday whose primary ingredients were white cake mix, food coloring and a bottle of sprite, I refused.
But then I relented because I am a push-over. But I still complained a lot.
and, although it was not my proudest moment, it was certainly a whole lot of fun.
and it made that handsome guy happy.
I'll have to admit that it tasted alright. Justin and Audrey loved it, the neighbors liked it, and when we got home from dinner and the hockey game last night, we saw that even the babysitter had enjoyed a piece. I suppose we'll have to say that the rainbow tie-dyed cake was a groovy success.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome cake Becky! As a birthday tradition in our family, the birthday girl/boy gets to choose their dinner of choice and dessert of choice. This is totally something my son would choose. :) Good thing he's in bed and won't have the opportunity to see your beautiful pictures. Looks too time intensive to me.

The Henriksons said...

Hey!! Way cool cake!! Happy Birthday Justin!! You are so the tie dyed guy!! I have a couple of pairs of socks you would love!! Millie

MaudieV said...

We love the cake, But we love Audrey's tye-died face the best!! Thanks for making Justin's birthday so wonderful Becky. Happy B-Day Justin!!

Ariane said...

The cake looks fun! Save me a piece. And I love the art work on the banner!

The VIPs said...

Good choice Angela. For it just being made out of cake-mix and soda it was a lot of work!

ASRussell said...

THat is a really cool cake!!!!

Jogusboy said...

kudos to you for putting up with a not-your-cooking-specialty cake.

even if you did complain a lot!

:)