I don't know if there's anything to compare to those first few hours after giving birth. Although I was exhausted from being up all night I was flying high with my new little girl. They moved us from labor and delivery to another room where Justin and I ordered breakfast and then tried to sleep but honestly I just spent the next few hours staring at Judy's sweet face, memorizing it.
We had been busy so we didn't even think about what was happening beyond our delivery room but we began to hear about the blizzard outside from nurses and doctors as they came to our room. Apparently it was the biggest snowstorm that the Magic Valley had seen in 30 years!
Also, my sweet nurse Shauna came to check on us and jokingly complained about all the paperwork she'd had to do because of my somewhat eventful delivery. She said my labor was pretty interesting and at one point all the nurses on the floor were watching my monitors at the nurses station- watching the baby's heartbeat go up and down and apparently even my own heartbeat dipped once. I laughed and apologized for being so difficult.
My Dad had been working in Utah and was unable to come home as planned due to the snow but luckily Grandma Bunn had a big truck with 4 wheel drive so she was able to brave the weather and roads to bring Audrey and David over to meet their new little sister. While they were visiting they got to watch Judy have her first bath which was fun.
Because of the storm we didn't have any other visitors which suited us just fine. It was quiet and cozy in our little hospital room that looked out onto a courtyard full of snow. Justin and I just slept and rested and got to know our new baby girl.
At 2:00 in the morning the night nurse said she needed to take Judy to weigh her and test her blood with a heel prick. It's always so hard from me to be away from my babies for even a few minutes but I reluctantly let her wheel Judy away.
Justin was asleep on the couch next to me in the dark room and I should have slept but I sat up waiting for my baby to come back. When the nurse brought her back a little less than an hour later Judy was wide awake and I was so happy to have her back in my arms. She looked up at me and I kissed her and whispered to her that I was her Momma and she was my baby while she just stared and stared at my face.
When it was time to go home Justin went out to check our car and found it buried underneath snow. He had to get some of the hospital maintenance staff to help him dig it out.
Then we packed up our darling girl and drove her home.
No comments:
Post a Comment