Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Portland Art Museum


Last week we took Audrey and David to the Portland Art Museum to see it's display of art from the Louvre. We were a little nervous to take the kids but couldn't miss out on the chance to see such beautiful pieces in person.




The nice gentlemen in suits (guards) followed us around as we visited each room and, with our three year old in tow, I can't really blame them. But Davy did great and we just carefully looked at each piece and moved on, and they all breathed a sigh of relief when we left their area. :)


The museum was beautiful! And quiet! Our footsteps echoed and so of course did our kids excited voices. But it makes me so happy that my children have stared at pieces by Monet, Degas, Renoir, and Picasso with their own little eyes. The experience was a powerful one for myself as well. I snapped some photos that of course won't do justice to the art but will give us reference years from now.


Renoir:


Monet:


Picasso:


We had studied some art this summer particularly Van Gogh and Degas and Audrey excitedly pointed out each name as she read them on the plaques on the wall. It was such a fun experience to watch her recognize them that I didn't get pictures. 



To continue on our french theme, after the museum we ate at Rae's where we tried Crouque Monsieur and Beef Bourguignon. Delicious! Then we ran to St. Honore bakery where Audrey ordered her favorite chocolate croissant and Davy got a cute little macaroon. Great night that I hope the kids will remember. I know I will.










No comments: