Monday, May 7, 2012

five

A little while after David was born Audrey and I were talking about her new brother and how he used to be in my tummy. And then she said, "And I was in your tummy too!"

My heart wrenched a little bit and I froze for a second. If I could change it so the answer to that question was "yes" I would do it in a heartbeat.

"No hunny, you were actually in Aunt Megan's tummy, and then Mom and Daddy came to get you."

She didn't even pause. "Oh, yeah! Then you came and got me."

She accepted it so easily and I breathed a deep sigh of relief. We want to be open with Audrey about all the details of her adoption. We try not to make a big deal about it. It's part of her story and she should know about it. However I wasn't exactly sure how to start the conversation and when, but so far- I'm just following her lead, telling her as much as she asks. It's actually been a lot easier than I thought.



The other day we were driving in the car and Audrey started talking about when she was born. She was saying that when she was born she was crying and there was blood on her. "Right Mom?"
and I said,

"Yeah, when babies are born they have some blood on them and they usually cry, but we clean them up and snuggle them and make them feel warm and happy."

Then she said, "and then you and Dad came and got me right?"

"Yep, Mom and Daddy couldn't have a baby and we were so sad but then we prayed to Heavenly Father and he helped us find you and then we were so happy."

Her little voice from the backseat: "And I was so happy too!"

I said, "You were?"

"Yes! I was so happy to be a family!"


Adopting Audrey has made us so happy. SO happy. It's been one of the best decisions of our lives. We've loved every minute with this wonderful girl. And on this day, her birthday, I always think about her birth family. How they blessed us. How grateful I am that she was born. That then she was so lovingly given to me to raise.

First and foremost to Megan, then to Tarl and Debbie, and Garry and Marjie:

Thank you, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

And to my girl, who is so smart and beautiful, happy and funny, creative and interesting and amazing:

I love you so much Hunny.
Happy Birthday!

Love, Mom

1 comment:

SL&G said...

And we are so happy! We love you Audrey! Hope you had the best rainbow birthday ever!!!!