Audrey starts school tomorrow. Pre-school, but school just the same. 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. Backpacks, papers, new clothes. She literally bounces up and down with joy whenever we talk about it.
But I don't know if I'm ready for this.
She's my first, my oldest. Until now I've had her in a safe little bubble. A loving home, a secure and clean environment. I've known where she is and what she's doing almost every minute of every single day for the last 4 years. And she's thrived and grown and learned. And now I know, I know it's time to start letting her out into the world. I know that there are other people that can teach her things that I can't, I know that she has to learn to handle certain people, and certain situations on her own. I know that she needs the social interaction, the preparation for kindergarten. I know it will be good for her.
But I'm still having a hard time with her being so 'out' in the world. What if she's homesick? (What if I'm homesick for her?) What if another child is mean to her? What if she learns a bad word? What if she has a hard time going to the bathroom or finding her backpack or dealing with the teacher? What if??
She's taught me so much. She's helped me find my parenting style, helped me figure out how to discipline, how to be patient, how to be silly. Because of her I've learned about development and growth, milestones. She's taught me how to be tough even though her face melts my heart and how to relax when sometimes the crumbs on the counter aren't nearly as important as playing Barbies in our pajamas.
Now can she teach me to be brave?
Can her enthusiasm overcome my trepidation? Will her excitement help untie the knot in my stomach?
I guess we'll see
Tomorrow.
Tomorrow.
3 comments:
It may be rough tomorrow. I hope that we can handle it. Our little girl is growing up.
Good Luck! I hope you make it through today!
"Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby lo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep."
...Imagine how hard it must have been for our Heavenly Father and Mother to send us down to this earth away from our Heavenly Home. --Love, Uncle Walt & Aunt Eileen
Post a Comment