Friday, July 8, 2011

the last part- delivery



The labor and delivery rooms at St. Lukes in downtown Boise are like glamorous hotel suites. Granite and hard wood finishes, jacuzzi tub etc. We walked into ours on the second floor and were very impressed. Audrey finished her chocolate milk while the nurse helped get me positioned in bed- monitor for contractions, monitor for baby's heartbeat, IV, pitocin drip. We watched it get lighter and lighter outside our window until finally the sun was up and we could see that it was snowing. The snow continued all day long, and I remember thinking that I'd have to tell our baby about the weather. I love snow.

Justin's parents came from Twin Falls and took Audrey back to our house in Nampa to get ready for her friend's birthday party. Soon after my Mom and sister arrived (complete with snacks and make-up- life savers!) and we relaxed and talked and watched Harry Potter. Every once in awhile the nurse would come in and up the level of pitocin in my IV and remind me that I should sleep but I was too excited. I was having a baby!

After a few hours my back started aching. I thought it was just from sitting/laying in one position for too long. I rolled around and shifted, my Mom positioned pillows like a pro and I found some relief. But soon it was back- a strong, burning pain in my lower back. As the pain intensified we figured out that these were contractions and I began to notice a definite increase and then decrease in the pain. "Wow," I thought "so here we go."

I had told the nurses that I wanted to go as long as possible without an epidural because I'd read that an epidural can slow down the labor process. The pain continued to increase and I was glad that my sister had left to go to a store because I wasn't able to stop the tears from coming. Justin was right by my side and quiet and later told me that he'd had a really hard time watching me handle the contractions. My mom was encouraging. I was so glad to have both of them there. Our nurse suggested I sit on a birthing ball to relieve the pressure on my back which helped a little- and I encouraged Justin and my Mom to talk so I could have something else to focus on. Finally I had dilated to a 5 and the nurse suggested an epidural saying that sometimes it could actually speed up the process since it would let my body relax. That was all I needed to hear.

The epidural was administered and I was comfortable again. My Mom and sister went to get some dinner while Justin and I sat and talked with the nurse. She knew this was my first pregnancy even though we had a daughter and wanted to know our story. We talked for awhile about the miracle of Audrey's adoption. She checked me again when it had been an hour since the epidural and her eyes got big. "Guess where you're at" she said. I hopefully said "A 6?" and she laughed and said "try a 9! You've dilated 4 cm in an hour!" She told me to call my Mom and sister and to get ready, at the rate my body was going we'd be ready to push soon.

I was fully dilated quickly and they called the on-call doctor and then had me start pushing. I'd hold my breath and push while the nurse counted to 10 three times with every contraction. After just a few minutes in the middle of one of my pushes she shouted, "I can see the head!" I lost all the breath I'd been holding and said "what?!" It all seemed so surreal. Suddenly I could feel the baby in the birth canal as well- a hard bony little ball between my hips- amazing. She had me stop pushing since the baby was obviously farther down the birth canal than they thought and the doctor still hadn't arrived. When the doctor finally came, she breezed in through the door with at least 5 other people. Curtains were pushed back, shiny instruments were pulled out of sterilized bags and laid on tables, the room was a flurry of activity. The doctor put on her mask, got into position and told me to start pushing again.

It was only two or three more long pushes and he was out- red and crying loudly- an angry little ball with dark hair and tiny hands and feet. They immediately laid him on my chest. He was perfect. I said "hello baby" and the most amazing thing happened- he stopped crying and shifted his head to look at my face. I was surprised that he'd recognized my voice so I kept talking- he laid there quietly and just watched me. It was such a special moment. A few minutes later Justin leaned over my shoulder and said something to me about the baby's hair and his eyes got bigger and he moved his tiny head to try to see Justin- another familiar voice. Thinking about it even now makes me cry.

They moved us up to our own private room on the 8th floor and offered to take David to the nursery for the night so I could get some sleep. But I couldn't let them- I pulled his bassinet next to my bed and stared at his face. Justin slept on the other side of me on the couch and I laid down and tried to sleep but I just couldn't. I couldn't take my eyes off his tiny face. I'd given birth! I'd had a baby! That magical, mysterious act that defines women- I'd done it! That mysterious thing that I'd had to watch and hear about from others but never expected that I'd be able to participate in- it had happened. And it had been more wonderful and exciting and amazing than I'd ever imagined.

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

Beautiful Becky, thanks for sharing! I love your way with words.

Walt and Eileen said...

Yes, a tender mercy of the Lord, a miracle. Thank you for sharing.
Love, Uncle Walt & Aunt Eileen

Ariane said...

Ah, beautiful story! Through tears and smiles I imagined myself going through the labor and delivery process. I'm hoping the power of positive thinking will help with this whole VBAC thing.

Alison and Chad said...

I made it to 5 cm too, and then needed the epidural, it felt like a lifesaver, and I was at 10cm in less than an hour, so it sped my labor up too!

Lauren said...

Excellent story, VIP