Tuesday, February 2, 2010

a must have


Long before we had Audrey, when I worked at Barnes and Noble, I started buying children's books. (One of the hazards of working there for four years- we have HUNDREDS of books in our house. No wonder I hate moving so much) As I saw cute new books or old classics that I had read when I was young I snatched them up using my handy dandy employee discount. But as I wandered through the children's section the other day (while Audrey was running around in delight, grabbing a book, plopping down to read it, grabbing another...) I noticed that there are so many that I would still love to have on Audrey's bookcase. Here are just a few:



Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey


Not a Box, and Not a Stick by Antoinette Portis


Bread and Jam for Francis by Russell Hoban


Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile by Bernard Waber


Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel


Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion



Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni



Justin's favorite: Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton


and my favorite: The Little House also by Virginia Lee Burton
(we must be fans)

So- I've made a list. These books and many more are on it. In fact, I keep thinking of more but this post is too long already (Harold and the Purple Crayon!) Birthdays, Christmas...any time I can I will be adding these books to Audrey's collection. (Grandmas, if you want to, you could take notes). And don't even get me started about when she can read chapter books. Charlotte's Web, Black Beauty, Ann of Green Gables, Nancy Drew....

1 comment:

caitlin said...

Great list! I would add the Max books by Rosemary Wells, and "But Not the Hippopotamus." By Sandra Boynton.

I would be the exact same way if I worked at a book store!