-I've tried to put any fear and worries temporarily out of my mind and just take these last few days before Christmas to really enjoy the holiday.
-I've been finishing and wrapping gifts until late into the night. Putting the last stitches into Audrey's third dress, then wrapping it up and tying a pretty ribbon around it felt so satisfying.
-We've been hiding the presents under a table in the corner so that Audrey (who is a pro at unwrapping) won't be tempted to dismantle them. I'm DYING to take her over and pull up the table cloth dramatically and reveal the piles of brightly colored packages just to see her eyes get big and hear her reaction. Christmas morning is going to be so much fun.
-speaking of presents- making our gifts this year has made getting ready for Christmas so much more exciting. It feels like we have more invested in the finished product which means more anticipation to see how it's received. More care and thought must equal more satisfaction and pride when the gift is given. Having a homemade Christmas is definitely something we're thinking about making a tradition.
-Justin and I discovered an awesome homemade hot chocolate recipe. That, plus the "aztec hot chocolate seasoning" that Ariane gave us for Christmas last year equals the best hot chocolate ever. I've consumed much more than I should have the past three evenings.
-An old friend of Justin's came to Boise yesterday evening and we picked her up and took her to dinner downtown. It was a splurge financially that we haven't been able to do for awhile. It was fun and really made the past few days start to feel like a celebration.
-This morning found me in the kitchen with my apron on- cream cheese softening on the counter in preparation for making truffles, the kitchen-aid noisily whipping fluffy marshmallow and Audrey and Justin and I smashing candy canes with a rolling pin.
-Our t.v. has been constantly playing Christmas movies- 'Elf', 'Rudolph', 'It's a Wonderful Life', as well as others that we've recorded. I've watched 'You've Got Mail' twice in the past week. It's a great movie to have playing in the background while I'm cooking and while Audrey scatters cookie cutters everywhere or makes a bed for her teddy bears (using every available blanket and pillow in the house) on the living room floor.
-And the other night I finished the dishes from dinner and Justin asked me what we were doing now. I told him I didn't know and he switched the t.v. over to the DVD player to show me that he had 'White Christmas' (my FAVORITE Christmas movie) in and ready to go. We sat on the couch with a blanket on our laps drinking cocoa and listening to Bing Crosby sing. Justin is such a good husband.
-Audrey loves the snow ("no") and Santa Clause ("Canta Cwause") and is so excited to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house tomorrow. So is her Mom. We have to look at the Christmas lights ("chri-mas wites") out her bedroom window before I put her to bed at night and along with saying goodnight to her Dad when I take her upstairs, she also waves and says goodnight to the Christmas tree.
-I'm excited to see my hometown tomorrow. To drive past the familiar businesses and the same street lamp decorations that they've been putting up since I was little. To see my parents, and my siblings, and my sister and her new husband, and my Grandparents. To look out the windows in my Mom's dining room at the beautiful view. To be home.
2 comments:
I'm glad you like the seasoning! It reminded me a little of the hot cocoa we used to get from Java.
Sounds like you guys had a fabulous time getting ready for Christmas. I can't wait to see the pictures of how it went!
Post a Comment