Friday, June 19, 2009

Father's Day


As a stay at home Mom, taking care of Audrey is primarily my responsibility. Justin helps but during the long hours that he is at work everyday I am the chief sandwich-maker, diaper-changer, sock-finder, toy-cleaner, spill- wiper, cookie-provider etc. Add to that the many household chores around here and sometimes I end up feeling overwhelmed and under appreciated.

However, Justin has been gone this weekend and over the past three days I have found that I am the one who is unappreciative.

I am always aware of what a great father Justin is. He provides for our family, he is kind and soft with Audrey and always her favorite playmate. However, the past few days have made me recognize the many other ways that he contributes- the smaller, less noticeable things he does for both Audrey and I. I've missed having an extra set of hands to help get Audrey out of her car seat or to grab something that I've dropped as I'm holding her or to put her shirt back on after the 50th time she's taken it off. I've missed having him in the store to push the cart and entertain Audrey while I get groceries. I've missed his casual interaction with Audrey and I, bringing more laughter and life into our house. I've missed having him here to watch her in the bathtub while I do my hair, or to change a few diapers, or hand me a safety pin, or to play with her while I make dinner. I've missed my partner who knows what I need almost before I do, who works with me in perfect sync and makes everything easier and more enjoyable just by being there.

Justin, you are such a great father to Audrey and such a wonderful husband to me.
And I'm so excited that you're coming home today.


Happy Father's Day

No comments: