Monday, April 20, 2009


We have taken up residence outside.

Nevermind how much space we have inside, right now we are mostly concerned with the 200 or so square feet of grass that is located out our back door. I look out the big window in the dining room as I'm doing dishes, or baking cookies or making grocery lists and notice that most of the lawn is covered in sunshine. I can't resist it and soon whatever I was working on is abandoned and Audrey and I are out in the fresh air.

Audrey is delighted. If I need another excuse to head out to the backyard Audrey gives it to me by pointing to the door and saying "go? go?" I spread out our big red blanket on the grass and she sits by me for a little bit and then gets up and goes to chase Chester around the yard, or fill up all our flower pots with pebbles from the side of our house. I kick off my flip flops, lay on the blanket and work on my non-existent tan. I've been tempted to see if our wireless internet would work outside but have so far resisted. I'm on the computer way too much anyway and it's nice to just lay there and think.


Also- I broke our camera the other day. (sniff, sniff)

After I took these pictures:

I was standing in the garage watching Justin shoot baseballs into a cardboard box with his hockey stick when I dropped it on the floor.

Then I started crying.

Alright, not really but pretty close. Look, I know there are worse things than a broken camera- war, famine, etc. But, when you have a baby as beautiful as Audrey, not having something to capture all the little moments of her life and then show them off is a tragedy. A big one. I could have taken pictures of the farmers market we went to on Saturday, or Audrey at the Boise Burn game on Saturday night. I could have countless pictures of Audrey piling up pebbles on the patio or trying to climb into the cat's house, or of all the gorgeous flowering trees in our neighborhood that we saw on the walk we took yesterday. But, I am without a camera.

And so for now, I am trying to just enjoy laying on a sunny blanket in the backyard with my eyes closed and listen to Audrey throw rocks into the cat's food.

5 comments:

donnaR said...

Oh,the sorrow and trauma. What will we all do now that your camara is broken! We are all going to miss it!

ASRussell said...

I also have been greatly enjoying this amazing weather!!! And I totally sympathize with you on the broken camera thing...it wasn't too long ago that my camera was broken and I had to buy a new one and was without for a few weeks...it was terribly sad!! Good luck and I hope we get to see some more pictures of that beautiful little girl soon!

Vip said...

We will go get a new either tonight after my softball game or tomorrow. This was a great post and we have been having a good time outside. I love you.

Ariane said...

Sad story! Maybe if I breakmy camera my husband will get me a new one...hmmm. Thanks for the great idea Becky!

Walt and Eileen said...

Yes, definitely an "unbirthday gift time" when you break your camera. I have serious withdrawl if I even forget to take my camera somewhere.
Love, G-Aunt Eileen - Arentina