
I like to tease Justin and say that he's an "Ad Man". Mostly because I think it's hot. I like to imagine him in his suit in conference rooms sweating over the new million dollar deal, or coming up with the next brilliant idea to sell to America. Sort of a cross between AMC's series Mad Men and Darrin Stephens from Bewitched.
In reality his job isn't as exciting as I see it in my head. He does get dressed up in a suit everyday (and looks darn good) and heads to an office to sell ads. But for him it's a lot more about dealing with clients and negotiating contracts and numbers and rates, working with the paper's artists to get ads right and in before deadline. A little different but still stressful, still just a little bit glamorous and still very, very important because it's this job and his ability to do it that provides all the money for our household.
Unfortunately for Justin his wife has pretty expensive obsessions. I cannot walk past Pottery Barn in the mall without almost dislocating my neck as I gawk at all the pretty things in that store. I watch too many episodes of TLC's "What not to Wear" and foam at the mouth at all the gorgeous clothes and shoes. So, in an effort to help remove some of the designer weight from my dear husband's shoulders, I too am becoming an Ad Man or, I guess, an Ad Woman. On the sidebar of my blog you'll see a very small google ad. We're trying it out, seeing if I can make a few pennies while I gush on and on about my cute baby and all the fun we have. So, don't take offense when you see ads for ancestry.com next to Audrey's picture.
I seriously hesitated to start letting advertising on my blog- you know, the whole integrity of the author and not being a sellout and everything. But, I'm actually pretty proud that I'm doing whatever I can with my little creative space here to help my family out.
How's that for marketing?
4 comments:
I don't know about how glamorous my job is, it just seems like work to me. Nice plug for your ad, and the best way to market yourself I have found is becoming personal and real with people. So you have started out great with a good story and sucking people in. Now lets hope they click on the links. Also the hippie side of me wants to tell you that you are kind of a sellout, but I wouldn't put much stock in it since that side also wants dreadlocks and to move to Oregon.
I don't take advice from hippies, especially hippies with dreadlocks
Oh Beck, You are not a sell out. I think it is great that you have the google ad on there. If it means you can go to 'the Barn', Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware or anywhere like that I say go for it! Also, if it DOES mean you can go to those places, let me know. I will have so many Google ads, you won't even be able to count em!
Oh, and J Vip. Doug and I will move with you guys to Oregon. We can dream sunshine day dreams down by the riverside under the sugar magnolia trees. Doug and Becaky can be disgusted at our hippishness.
I swear I've never been to Technorati before. I wonder if it was Adam when it was signed in under me. It looks like a cool site, though.
Post a Comment