We went to Wendell yesterday for Justin's great-aunt's funeral and I was so happy to go to the church there. I love that church, it's so personal for me. I was blessed there, baptised there and had my wedding reception there. That building is so much more than a church for me- when I was little it was singing time when my Grandma was the Primary President, sitting in the pews with my parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents, playing with my cousins during the meeting and being envious of my Aunt Brenda and Beverly's high heels. When I got older it was Saturday morning basketball with my little sister and brother, rushing in late to early morning seminary and so many presidency planning meetings about dances, service projects and girls camp.
I walked around yesterday and saw my name on the Young Womanhood Medallion plaque and thought of how I've listened to countless gospel lessons in every single classroom there from so many people that I've known as long as I can remember and respect so much. When I walk in that familiar church building, I'm home. In the funeral they talked of how after living in California, Aunt Lucille and her husband moved back to the place they loved, Wendell. I feel exactly the same way.
And, back to the purpose of this post- I love the big trees on the south side of the church- the 5 or 6 of them that run down the side of the parking lot up 6th street. My Dad first pointed them out to me, and I've noticed them ever since. They always turn a gorgeous yellow in the fall and yesterday they didn't disappoint me. Beautiful. I wish I had thought to take a picture but for everyone from Wendell I'm sure I don't need to- you know what I'm talking about.
2 comments:
Those trees are so awesome. I really like the ones in the back of the church. Those always turn an awesome color too.
Wendell, love... I have it too! Memories of visiting every year for Christmas, and getting to know the people who lived there. Going to the dances as a teenager, and long distance crushes. Memories of the Christmas dances and snow, and Rick playing in the band. And of course there are the summer time memories climbing to the top of the willow tree with Maudie and getting in trouble, and the roses. Grandpas wonderful roses. And the time Maudie and I and the neigborhood kids eating a whole can of whip cream because it was so fun to feel it spray into your mouth....and of course the church house. That door in the RS room that closes so easily that every time I go there I slam it by mistake and embarrass myself. As I have traveled places I have met many people who have connections to Wendell and I think they all feel the same way. Wendell is a pretty special place, and you are lucky to have grown up there!
Post a Comment